The 2008 Summer Olympic Games started August 8, 2008 and will last until August 24. The event will see the return of 28 sports, and will hold 302 events (165 men’s events, 127 women’s events, and 10 mixed events), one event more in total than in Athens.
Go to 2008 Beijing Olympics Results and winners for more detailed updates and list of winners. For list of 2008 Olympics Medal Tally Count follow the link. Here are some of the highlights for today August 9, 2008:
- Katerina Emmons of the Czech Republic wins the first gold medal of the games, setting an Olympic record for both the qualifying (with a perfect 400) and final scores, in the women's 10 m air rifle.
- Chen Xiexia of China wins the women's 48 kg event in weightlifting, setting Olympic records in both the clean and jerk, and total weight lifted.
- Swimmer Michael Phelps of the United States sets an Olympic record in the first round of the men's 400 m individual medley.
- Swimmer Alexander Dale Oen of Norway set an Olympic record in the first round of the men's 100 m breaststroke.
- South Korea set a world record in the ranking round of the women's team archery event.